However, as it turns out, Miyatake’s profound reverence for the power of nature is rooted not in photography but in waka, a classical form of Japanese poetry.
1. A flight of hime botaru fireflies light up the forest to create a dreamy, fairytale-like spectacle
2. A long-exposure shot of the Showa crater, the most active volcano in Sakurajima, underneath the stars
3.In spring, firefly squid (hotaru ika) rise 2000 feet to the surface of the water and offer a fleeting glimpse of their magical lights
4.Volcanic lightning during the eruption of the Sakurajima volcano
5.Genji botaru fireflies around a small bridge over the Shimanto River (Kochi Prefecture)
6.The Milky Way glittering above the woods with the green lights of fireflies dancing in the foreground.
7. Scores of fishing rafts floating in the Uchino-umi highlighted by the light from the full moon.
8. The moon lights up a waterfall against geometric rock formations
9. A close-up of the red-hot cinders erupting from the Showa crater on Sakurajima
10. Volcanic lightning over the Sakurajima eruption.